Recently, I had the pleasure of having a few discussions with college students looking for work and internships for the summer. It got me thinking about my early experiences and so here are 5 things to perhaps ponder when looking for summer work or full-time work in the field you're majoring in....
1. Have a plan. You know what you've accomplished thus far, have a plan on what you want to learn and accomplish moving forward towards your career path. Most college students don't realize this but you have readily available faculty that is there to support you in your journey. Engage them for help creating a plan and attainable goals when seeking out jobs in the profession of your choice. Of course, you must be realistic, set measurable goals so that you don't get discouraged. Being discouraged happens to the best of us but if you have a plan, and stick to it, that's half the battle.
2. Be Prepared. Do your homework and look up the company in which you are seeking out a job or internship. It may seem that this advice is rather elementary but it makes all the difference in standing out in the crowd. You just might learn a few things along the way too - Hint: Those companies you're interviewing with have a plan too.
3. Be Open Minded... This is not intended to break your spirit and your growing enthusiasm but, you may not get the dream position you imagined! However in most cases following a plan may land you a chance to learn from the bottom up. It ALL has value and if you're open-minded, you're half way there. For instance if you want to be in sales, working as an assistant and learning the ropes could be beneficial in learning key strategies on becoming the salesperson you're wanting to become or not become. Trust that with effort and motivation, you'll learn you're own way to do a signature sales pitch in do time. It's part observation and part applying what you've learned. Take pride that you will get to where you're going in do time.
4. Things often change, and they will! You may find that having a goal and being open-minded will open up your mind and career path to new opportunities. Trust me, it happens to the best of us and you may find something you're truly passionate about along the way. Change is good. Embrace it.
5. And lastly, have fun finding your Niche..... it's a big world out there so, have a plan, do your homework, embrace the change, and who knows? Find something to be passionate about and do it. This advice is no guarantee as it depends on you and your level of motivation.... but if you're ready for just about anything, you just might go far in life.
If you take anything home from my blog today, I hope it would be the quote below.
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value."
Have a great weekend! Enjoy~
Since opening my shop here in downtown Frederick, I always get this questions a great deal - "What's a great housewarming present to give someone?" Most are looking for the unusual, very unique gifts that stands out and are memorable. I have always felt the same way when trying to pick the perfect gift and find myself going the extra mile making it personal.
Many of you know that items in my shop have stories behind them. I have either made or worked with the vendor on some items that are now featured in the shop. Here is an example I've put together that will help those who struggle with the house warming gift dilemma. This example is available at La Niche, ready for a good home! 100% cotton dish towel, 2 estate silver serving spoons hand stamped and just a little stand of burlap tape measure ribbon I had from a previous project. ~$28.00. We also have many other hand stamped items too. Be sure to stop in and check out our wedding hand-stamped line of flatware -coming soon!
Follow me on Instagram & Facebook to see all that we have on hand stamped estate flatware. Enjoy~
blogger, maker, mover, shaker....